Oct 8, 2009





Amy tells me it is ok to talk about myself on a blog because that is what they are about! I like that! So...for all you book lovers out there this is for you. My girls all tell me they don't have time to read which is certainly understandable:-)

Anyway here are a few I have read recently if interested and I am currently reading, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I also read The Bean Trees by her which is shorter but I like this one better. Poisonwood Bible is the story of the wife of a Baptist preacher and his four daughters (who are very real in their antics). They are called on a mission to the Congo. It takes place in the late 50s when the Congo was struggling for their independence and is pretty fascinating reading--described as a "dance between the dark comedy of human failing and the breathtaking possibilities of human hope."

I just finished The Marriage Bureau for Rich People, takes place in modern India (pretty cute) and Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck, which I have recommended to my book club for November. I started Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, which I loved except for the rather explicit sex scenes...so gave up on it about a third of the way through...really good story, but be warned!

If you have some new ones to add to my list...I am always looking for good stuff to read. As for explicit sexual ones...my imagination works just fine without it thank you--maybe even better:-) Give me romance anytime!!!

2 comments:

Amy K said...

I just finished the Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Chan and I loved it. I don't have a lot of reading time though, so technically I cheat. I listen to the books on CD on my way to an from work. I get one or so done in about 2 weeks. Now I'm listening to the Year of Magical Thinking.

Matti said...

I wish I could do books on tape, or read. One of these days. Actually my friends seem to find time to fit it in, so I am sure I could too. Thanks for all the suggestions Mom. And it's great to have them on your blog because I always forget to write them down. Now, when I actually get the time I'll look for one of these.