May 27, 2010

U is for Undervalued

"Be pretty if you are; Be witty if you can; Be cheerful if it kills you."

I found this quote on line the other day and really liked it. There was no mention of an author so I guess we can chalk it up to another one by 'anonymous';-) Having a good disposition and general cheerfulness is often undervalued. Who does not enjoy being around a cheerful, upbeat person? Anyway, it reminded me of how important it is to smile or even laugh even at ourselves. From what "they" say, it takes fewer muscles and sure makes the world around us a much more pleasant and agreeable place!

I found myself in the middle of some unpleasant banter the other day between two other people. Standing there and watching the tempers the stress level rise, I just had to step back and try my best to remain calm and objective. As I watched from that point of view, it totally reminded me of two second graders going at it. It seemed that each one was wanting to prove they were right even though there wasn't anything to benefit from any of it other than some silly and lame bragging rights. Seeing this just made me smile...and ask, why, why, why do we do this to ourselves? Let's face it we all have our moments! Even though I was not at all involved in any of it, I too was feeling the stress in the air!

My husband has a favorite saying..."step back and take a deep breath", meaning don't let your emotions run away with you. So, I agree, "be cheerful if it kills you"...and you will probably live a much longer, healthier and happier life, and who doesn't want that?

No comments: