May 18, 2010

Nests



About a month ago I commented on a dove that had built a nest in a wire basket on my back patio. Well after her two little young ones hatched and flew off on their own, low and behold along comes another and uses the nest for her eggs! Maybe this is common in the dove world I am not sure but it surprised me to look up at the nest and see another mama sitting there so patiently.

Well we now have two more babies that have hatched and they are equally as cute as the first ones. Mother nature continually amazes me!

In addition to the doves, I have discovered a larger nest in the large potted palm tree by the pool. The pot has been overflowing with cascades of petunias so I was about to trim them back when low and behold I was attacked by a large black bird flying up into my face. What a surprise that was!

Anyway, I guess the birds have decided to turn the back yard into a birdie nursery...and, truthfully I am loving every moment of it;-)

1 comment:

Jenifer said...

We had some birds do the same thing. They would have their babies in the nest and then another mom would fly in to take their place. It was kind of weird but cool.